Friday, August 19, 2005

PVP or FARM?

So, someone rather close to me asked me this morning whether, when I hit 60, I was planning on spending all of my time (what little of it there is) on farming instances for 733t gear, or in battlegrounds, building up rank and buying gear that way.

Good question.

The answer is, I have no clue. There are pros and cons to both directions. Let's just assume that I really only have one choice, for now, due to time considerations.

Let's Pro/Con the options, shall we?

FARM

Pros
-end-game content
-if you don't get exactly what you want, you pick up a lot of sellable items along the way, and you may get the opportunity to buy what you want
-rare/unique BOP items that you can't get anywhere else, including set items
-questing. you can complete some interesting and difficult quests that give you decent rewards
-reputation. some of the instances will boost your reputation with certain factions (someone check me on this, please)
-cameraderie. if you go with a guild or a regular group, you get GOOD, and fly through the instances [as opposed to BG, where you are often grouped with strangers who tend to strategize differently, if at all]
-if you're a weak solo player, it shouldn't matter one bit, because you are ALWAYS covered by your team (unless they're nitwits, and you should leave a team of nitwits early on, anyway)

Cons
-forced to party with others who might ninja or just roll better
-running the same instance so many times that it gets boring
-LFG!
-running instances with those you don't know can be disastrous
-you're always fighting against the gods of chance. 0.001% chance to drop your set item? bah!
-PVP only when you're trying to get into the instance and opposition is standing outside, bored
-might have to respec to PVE for some of the harder instances, such as MC, where I hear they hate rogues in parties [do you know how many times I've been in Orgrimmar, seeing LFG, 60 Rogue, MC, strat, scholo, BRD, anything!... that's just sad]



PVP

Pros
-unlike farming, your chances of getting the item you want based on reputation are nearly guaranteed (as long as you dedicate your life to BG)
-PVP. 'nuff said
-you get to display a cool rank, and be regarded with esteem by your mates
-you get reputation AND rank simultaneously, both of which can earn you some nice gear
-if you're a weak solo player, you generally have a team to cover you

Cons
-you can get the item you want on your first instance run, but it takes hundreds of BG runs to get your rep anywhere near getting anything decent
-if you pause, you start losing rank (more quickly than you'd think)
-randomness of teammates [sure, this happens in instance runs, too]
-if you're a weak solo player, you might NOT have a team to cover you (they might be all over the map!)


Okay, that's all I can think of right now. PLEASE PLEASE comment and add to these so that I can make an informed decision. If you've had experience, or if you just have some intuitive thoughts, I'd like to see them. I will be spending my time on one or the other primarily, so I'd like to know what you think.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm facing the same problem with my own lvl 60. I may lean towards instance runs if my Guild become a little bit bigger. Then again PvP can be loads of fun....well until you get zerged that is. Sorry I can't really help you out there but you can always end up doing both. I know that I will, why just settle for one when you can have both? = )

Saturday, August 20, 2005 7:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say play City of Heroes. I've come to the decision that I'm bored with WOW. I have 4 level 60 alts and this game has almost been out a year. I still think it is the best MMO, but that doesn't mean I have to play it forever. I believe that Civ 3 is one of the best strategy games ever for the computer, but I don't play it anymore, because I want a new experience. I know that Blizzard wants to perfect everything before they release it, but I need new content besides high level instances and epic armor sets to keep my interest. I want new levels to attain and new abilities to use.
Maybe new classes to explore, I already have an alt for every class now available (I only got to level 60 with the classes I really liked).
So, until Blizzard gets off their collective asses and give me something really new to do with their game, I"m moving to something new.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Psyae said...

Funny you should mention CoH.

I just came from that. :)

It went something like:

NWN
SWG
COH
WOW

ah well. I'll miss you, Billy.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 3:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think I could ever leave WoW for another game. I know most of the time at lvl 60 its either doing instance runs or PvP. I will most likly not be able to do the very high lvl runs of instances. My mains guild is not that big but we're getting there. Other games just don't seem to intrest me as WoW has. Well, theres my two cents on the matter.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been playing since release and have 60's on two different realms (pvp & RP). The thing about MMO's is you should love to play it so much that it gets boring, then learn to take a break and you'll find you start to miss it and when you start playing again it's that much funner. You can also do other things, for i.e. when I got bored on my 60 I made a 10-19 BG twink, ended up starting a guild to compete with the Horde guild that was owning the 10-19 bracket. Now we are the top alliance guild for 10-19 on my realm and we are constantly busy and entertained playing BG and twinking/helping each others chars out etc.

I've made every class alt to, which is fun for awhile, I ended up leveling them all up to x9th levels for every BG bracket and a couple to 60. But yes I hear what your saying, I am dieing for new classes, it's something I've been complaining about on the boards etc forever, and then to find out BC only has new races and not new classes, wtf? Is Blizzard crazy? I don't care about looks I want new ways to play the game, still it's great and a lot of fun when exploring all of its potential. (Not that I don't play other games too, just can't commit to another MMO and still have a real life).

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Local Time

Eniwetok (GMT-12)
Samoa (GMT-11)
Hawaii (GMT-10)

Alaska (GMT-9)
Pacific Time (GMT-8)
Mountain Time (GMT-7)

Central Time (GMT-6)
Eastern Time (GMT-5)
Atlantic Time (GMT-4)

Brazilia (GMT-3)
Mid-Atlantic (GMT-2)
Azores (GMT-1)

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Rome (GMT +1)
Israel (GMT +2)
Moscow (GMT +3)

Baku (GMT +4)
New Delhi (GMT +5)
Dhakar (GMT +6)

Bangkok (GMT +7)
Hong Kong (GMT +8)
Tokyo (GMT +9)

Sydney (GMT +10)
Magadan (GMT +11)
Wellington (GMT +12)



MMORPG Listed on BlogShares