Friday, October 21, 2005

Class Surplus, Personal Preference, & Peer Pressure

So, I'm perusing Van Hemlock's blog, which, I might say, has some fairly amusing anecdotes, and I strongly suggest you take a look at his site (link on sidebar). Wow, run-on from hell there.

His most recent post deals with a dilemma I'm sure we've all encountered: play the "cool" and powerful class, or play the "underdog" class that's most often lacking and therefore begged for on my server?



In his situation, he truly enjoys playing his warrior, but there is an overabundance of warriors on his server, and a dreadful lack of healing classes. He loves the warrior, but feels the peer pressure to roll a priest or shaman so that he can be more useful in instances, and in greater demand.

I responded to his post thus:

You know, I've tried a handful of classes, but when it comes right down to it, there usually seems to be just one that really "fits."

My first, during pre-beta stress test, was a Night Elf Hunter. I enjoyed it while it lasted. It was a great way to explore and always have a companion. But when retail finally came out, I had to go with Warlock! Shot that little warlock all the way to 60.

But, I think ultimately, although it was nice having such range and power, it didn't suit me. I didn't feel very comfortable in my warlock outfit.

So I tried some other stuff. Found the wicked, evil Rogue.

Of course, it fit.

But having looked at the statistics, and noticing for myself the deluge of other rogues in the WoWverse, I begin to wonder if the way the class itself is built is why so many people are drawn to it. As some stats describe, the "mechanics" of Rogues are the most appealing. I wonder if that's why there are so many rogues, or if it's something about the darker, shadowy nature of the rogue, and that as a rogue, you can move around just about anywhere without being seen.

Funny how those same statistics describe rogues as one of the least exploratory classes.

Not me! I get around!

I, like you, at one time thought I should drop the rogue/DPS routine and roll a priest. My first attempt wasn't so bad, but nothing could really compare to the rush of being able to defeat an opponent quickly and efficiently. With my priest, it took forever to kill anything worthwhile, and, as the rumor goes, partying tended to be tedious, although interspersed with some exciting moments. Yes, I fell back on the rogue.

But the ultimate question: Is it me? Or is it the class?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberal Blogosphere on George Bush & His Band of Crooked Cronies
I live on the outskirts of one of the most conservative areas in the US ... Bush said this morning that he would focus on the nation's business instead of paying attention to the background chatter and noise caused by multiple investigations and criminal inquiries of the GOP and White House.
Hey, Just looking to see if there are any other blogs out there like mine that specialize in cheap kids designer clothes
Yours looks great > if you get a chance, come and check mine out ! I'll certainly bookmark yours !
http://www.astro-insight.com/magickids

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Psyae said...

I hate spam.

Friday, October 21, 2005 9:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous sucks at WOW.

I think a *whole* lot of us that were drawn to the rogue were led there because we got whooped by one at one point or another. The obvious path our small minds took was "if I can't beat them - I'll join them."

For what it's worth - I love the two rogues I've been leveling so far. But the class has never *fit* me (IMHO anyway). What's worse is that I tend to pigeon hole them around level 30 and they become stealthy farmers capable of infiltrating the tastiest herb producing grounds or the most remote veins of rare ore.

They become my green grocers.

Don't get me wrong - PvP with Sundance and Windpaw is a blast. But I can't seem to stick with a Rogue as a main for long periods of time.

Sequoia - my druid - is a much harder character to PvP and duel with. For me to win requires me to do a *lot* of things right - and not doing those things often results in a quick and ugly death. Still - a lot of the benefits of the rogue are there (I love stealth/prowl) - and the ability to fit the needs of virtually any party (or mood) is kinda cool.

Interestingly enough - the next stage of my evolution in the game is figuring out why I keep playing Night Elves. The only thing more popular on most servers than sheer Rogues are Night Elf Rogues...(or hunters).

I've quite recently started playing an Orc and a Gnome and for some reason find the experience amazingly liberating ;)

Monday, October 24, 2005 2:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss my pally. It fit me the best, because I was a survivor. At least, in PvE. What that was what I enjoyed most. I loved be able to out live any other class and then rez their dead asses. I loved being able to heal myself and others so that I could help our group survive and finish the quest or instance. But... I hated that I sucked at PvP. So I rolled a mage, a druid, a priest and so on.

I still miss my pally and I'm still not that much better at PvP. Maybe I should load up Billodeth and take him for a spin again. Maybe...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger Psyae said...

Well, I've been begged repeatedly to go back to my 60 warlock. Sigh... the OLD days, eh, Bill?

I just feel like once you've left something for that long, you've closed the book on it, and shouldn't really reopen it. /shrug

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried some other classes. Right now my main is a priest, because I wanted to try healing and buffing. I really enjoy it, and like healing in BGs much more than fighting. It feels good to know you were the deciding factor. (I never had the instinct to be good at fighting).

So .. pre raid (my char is 29 right now) I am lucky to be playing my personal preference. BUT I tried 4 other classes first, one I got to 60.

I find pre-raid, people decide who they want to group with based on the player rather than the class.

Of course, I suppose raiding is completely different. If I was playing with my friends (on-line friends), I would not mind re-rolling to help them. But I wouldn't do that for strangers. Esp. judging by the quality of character displayed by the officers of the huge raiding guilds on my server.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 9:44:00 AM  
Blogger hou said...

I've tried a handful of classes, but when it comes right down to it, there usually seems to be just one that really "fits."

xiaomi mi5 review
meizu m2 note
meizu mx5

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Local Time

Eniwetok (GMT-12)
Samoa (GMT-11)
Hawaii (GMT-10)

Alaska (GMT-9)
Pacific Time (GMT-8)
Mountain Time (GMT-7)

Central Time (GMT-6)
Eastern Time (GMT-5)
Atlantic Time (GMT-4)

Brazilia (GMT-3)
Mid-Atlantic (GMT-2)
Azores (GMT-1)

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Rome (GMT +1)
Israel (GMT +2)
Moscow (GMT +3)

Baku (GMT +4)
New Delhi (GMT +5)
Dhakar (GMT +6)

Bangkok (GMT +7)
Hong Kong (GMT +8)
Tokyo (GMT +9)

Sydney (GMT +10)
Magadan (GMT +11)
Wellington (GMT +12)



MMORPG Listed on BlogShares