Wednesday, August 10, 2005

DEMOTED!?!?!?!!?

I distinctly recall reading on the official WoW website that rank would not be hard to gain at first, and it takes a LONG time to lose. BS!

Two weeks ago, I went on a pvp spree, going to BG two or three times a day, if possible, and before going to bed, getting as many solo kills in Southshore as possible. For my trouble, I was promoted to Sergeant a week ago. Granted, I had but a sliver of the new little ribbon that shows you how well you're progressing. All this while I was still level 50. So, after I got Sgt., I succumbed to my friends' humble requests (constant nagging) for me to level up. Well, a week later, and I'm at lvl 55, woot! But what does just ONE week of non-pvping get you? DEMOTED! Unbelievable! The nerve! Not only am I now a miserable Grunt, but I'm also only 3/4 of the way to being promoted to Sergeant (again!?!?). So, the lesson here is that you lose 1/4 of a rank every week if you don't put out 15k honor per week? BS!!! Bliz lies! (well, we all knew that anyway, but, sheesh! talk about bloodthirsty!) I went from rank 244 to rank 900-something. That's insane. I'd make some political reference about leaders who appear to be bloodthirsty, but this isn't a political blog. Still, doesn't it seem odd that the only qualification (merit?) required for gaining rank is to kill as many opponents as you possibly can in the shortest amount of time?

Well, don't look for me in AV or WSG any time soon. I'm still on my grind kick, and won't stop till I'm at the top. As a matter of fact, I was going to bring this up in a separate entry, but why not here? UIs! If you can bother to click the Add a Comment thingy down there, perhaps you can share with the class what UI you're using, as well as other UI mods. I must share the one I discovered last night! Well, originally, I used Cosmos (because that's what everyone was using back in the days just after Beta) [incidentally, I've been on WoW since the Stress Test, pre-beta; and lemme tell you, I did NOT want to buy the game at all at that time, seeing how screwed up the servers were... another story, another time]. Anyway, after about 3 patches ago, Cosmos was too screwed up to use, so I switched to CTmod, which is perfect and, honestly, much better. The only drawback is the lack of map pins, but I'm sure I can find a mod for that separately.

I recently got a damage meter mod, which will show you your and your party's damage, and other funky stats. However, be warned that if you are in a party with some jerk (like me) who likes to use the damage meter output for bragging rights, note that the meter only reads information straight from the modded user's combat box. This means that if you happen to be outside the "zone" where that user senses your combat actions, whatever you do outside that zone will not be reflected in the damage meter readout. Not much of a problem in an instance or other cramped area, but a potential arguing point in a raid group, or spread out situation, or when you die, and while you're running back to your corpse to join your comrades, the rest of them continue fighting. Anyway, as long as you acknowledge that, and also realize that the user with the mod can add party members and do a readout having PRIOR damage for that user still in the mod's memory, so if you're concerned, have them SHOW you a zeroed out meter (reset it when the party starts out, then have the modded user do a party readout).

So, last night, I wanted to grind up a level, and, like we all do, I wondered how many of the mobs I was currently killing I would need to kill to gain a level, and how long it'd take. I searched the websites for mods, and found a nice, simple one that showed me my rate of xp gain per hour and how long, based on the average xp per mob, it would take me to level. Of course, I started out slow, and it said 24 hours! Hah! But after I gained some momentum, I managed to drop it to 7 hours! Amazing! I'm not sure, however, whether it accounts for rested xp, but I didn't have any at the time, so it didn't matter. But I'll find out tonight.

While I was looking at mods in general, I recalled seeing some screenshots on another website, and in the screenshots, I saw this comprehensive toolbar thingy at the top of the screen. Interested, I researched more, and found that it's called Titan. I read a little bit, wiped up the drool, and installed it. Needless to say, it's AWESOME! Here are some of the nifty things it allowed me to do: adjust the relative size of the UI (I shrunk it slightly); see your cash; see your free vs total inventory slots; if you have the kill xp mod I talked about up there, you can see your time to level; adjust volume; adjust buncha other stuff. Most of the stuff you can see without ever having to mouse over or click on anything! But if you do mouse over, it shows you even more! This is a no-brainer! Get it! Now!

So, someone close told me last night that there was an ILLEGAL mod that allowed people to see members of the opposing faction on their maps, or something like that. Oooh, that pissed me off, but, ya know, I should have known! How many times have I been hidden OUT OF SIGHT of some Alliance dweebs who, for some ungodly reason, knew to run exactly where I was hiding!!! How evil! Of course, I do know about all the anti-rogue nerfs that Bliz actually allows (but no one admits are rogue nerfs; but they are!!!!). Hmm, I probably shouldn't give them away, but no one reads this anyway.

Okay, anti-rogue tactics:
-hunters (bah, I hate hunters!); flares and tracking (will see right through you!!!)
-catseye elixir (did I screw up the spelling on that?)
-that junk you drink to see all undead (wtf!)
-mages, perception spell
-any aoe
-a good bait technique (rogues are so gullible!)
-dots (including poisons, which is why I'm reluctant to give up my only dot poison! too late!)
-pets (for some reason, pets seem to have a greater ability to spot stealthed rogues, and I'm betting they don't have a backside detection deficiency like npcs)
-traps (did I mention I hate hunters? this also can be thrown into the bait technique category)
-any of that shamanistic/druidic earthbind stuff (rogues need to learn how to read them totems!)
-stomp stuff
-paladin flaming fire crap
-oh, I could go on and on!

If I left any out, PLEASE leave a comment so I can supplement. (and incorporate into my anti-anti-rogue talents). I know a handful of those can be included in the "any aoe" category, but I felt they should be listed separately as well.

You know, something I failed to mention about warlocks earlier, that always strikes me as quite hilarious. When I spammed BG at 50, there was at least one little gnome or human warlock who ALWAYS cast Hellfire when they got surrounded by the enemy (which usually included me). WTF??? Do any of you locks know what Hellfire is!?!? I don't care if you call yourself a destruction warlock, Hellfire is SUICIDE!!! And, of course, that's what always happened. Did I get burned? Perhaps singed a little, but overall, that spell is so ineffective, it tickles. Sure, it's aoe, sure you did some damage to the enemy (not much), but ultimately you died! What good are you to your team if you're dead? Slightly more effective is rain of fire, but not when the enemy is standing within a foot from you! Run! Get out of dodge and be a caster! If you MUST sacrifice yourself, you can spam dots on every enemy you see. You'll last longer doing that. It's quicker, and most of the dots will last long after you're dead. Sigh. Yes, Hellfire WILL unstealth a rogue. But, who cares? Like you want to piss the rogue off any more anyway?

Bah! I can't believe I was demoted!!! (at least I can still use my Sgt. gear!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Psyae said...

Well, there is this one mod I saw for gathering types that looked pretty good. It keeps a record of everywhere you've gathered certain materials (via herbalism, mining, etc.) and creates a database so you know where the majority of certain materials are, etc. I think if they incorporated that into a dynamic online database, that only people contributing could see, that would be an awesome way to learn the locations of good stuff.

I believe there are mods that track Mob information, as well. I'm sure if someone's thought of it, it's out there somewhere.

Hunters... bah! They must always have it on undead.

Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know - I live in fear of seeing my rank stripped every week. My main (30th level Hunter) - has been a private for a while now and I figure that's where he's going to stay. Problem is, it's just too hard sometimes to make the choice between the battle grounds and spending time leveling and questing. If you're playing more than one character it gets even harder(!)

Great blog - I've linked you in on mine as well!

Thursday, August 11, 2005 6:36:00 PM  
Blogger Psyae said...

Thanks, Tomas.

Well, I've pretty much dropped BG entirely till I get to lvl 60. There's just too much else to do. Now, it is certainly fun to play some WSG, and I'd suggest trying it at lvl 40 and then again at 50, so that you're at the top of your group and not just getting slaughtered. My first time was at lvl 41, and it sucked because all I did was die.

Right now, I'm trying the two-character rest xp game, and it's pretty fun starting over, jumping all over the starting areas and re-developing, knowing all the while that every moment I spend doing this with my new alt, my main is getting rest xp built up.

Friday, August 12, 2005 7:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Local Time

Eniwetok (GMT-12)
Samoa (GMT-11)
Hawaii (GMT-10)

Alaska (GMT-9)
Pacific Time (GMT-8)
Mountain Time (GMT-7)

Central Time (GMT-6)
Eastern Time (GMT-5)
Atlantic Time (GMT-4)

Brazilia (GMT-3)
Mid-Atlantic (GMT-2)
Azores (GMT-1)

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Rome (GMT +1)
Israel (GMT +2)
Moscow (GMT +3)

Baku (GMT +4)
New Delhi (GMT +5)
Dhakar (GMT +6)

Bangkok (GMT +7)
Hong Kong (GMT +8)
Tokyo (GMT +9)

Sydney (GMT +10)
Magadan (GMT +11)
Wellington (GMT +12)



MMORPG Listed on BlogShares